Travelling abroad is an experience most people would look forward to do. But, just like anything else, it comes bundled with lot of pleasure and surprises, some of which can be not so pleasant. So it is always good to be prepared for everything. A foreign land, no matter how friendly, will always be a little unfamiliar and it is best to avoid getting into troubles there. The best you can do in such a case is to insure yourself against all risks and overseas travel insurance is undoubtedly the finest option.
While travelling abroad risks associated would be any of the below:
• An accident that can land you in a hospital and would charge you a lot
• A medical emergency where you would need hospitalization
• Any unforeseen reasons which would compel you to stay longer than you planned.
• Loss of baggage or Delayed receipt of baggage
• Loss of Passport, Visa
• Hijack of flight
Any good International Travel Insurance Policy would give you the following benefits:
• Hospitalization expenses for accident / Emergency Illness
• Compensation in case of excessive delay (mostly more than 12 hours)
• Compensation for loss of or delay in receipt of checked baggage
• Compensation for Loss of Passport/Visa
• Compensation for permanent total disablement due to accident
• Compensation to nominees for accidental death in foreign soil
• Coverage against expenses for repatriation of remains
Apart from various coverage, variety of assistance is also made available to policy holders such as:
• Medical advice over the telephone
• Medical services provider referral
• Arrangement of appointments with local doctors for treatment
• Arrangement of hospital admissions
• Arrangement of emergency medical evacuation
• Inoculation and visa requirement information
• Emergency message transmission assistance
• Embassy and legal referral services
International Travel Insurances however differ in types as they cover different aspects of your travel. Broadly they can have the following coverage:
Medical Coverage – Such insurance covers all your medical emergency expenses while you are on a tour abroad. It covers any kind of unforeseen illness or injury that has happened during the insured period.
Interruption Coverage – This is a coverage that ensures compensation for the expenses that happen on account of an event wherein the trip is either interrupted or cancelled. Mostly accepted reasons for cancellation or delay in trip can include illness, traffic accident, criminal action, terrorist attack, weather conditions, civic disorder or any other situation out of one’s control.
Lost Baggage: Compensation coverage is even allowed for baggage that has been lost after it was checked in. this can even get extended to get coverage for compensation in an event of excessive delay in getting luggage.
With variety of travel insurance coverage available in the market, you have to invest time to know the policy which covers most of your requirements at a reasonable price. It is a market practice to have different price for different countries based upon the prevailing medical cost. Select the right coverage and do not be price sensitive as you are traveling to a land where even a simple food allergy may turn out to be a heavy burden on your financial plans.